Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

It has been almost a month since my last post. Life here has been non-stop and if you've ever experienced one or two of those times in your lives, then you know how hard it is to get caught up. I am committed to posting this new entry tonight!!! Even these pics are outdated by now. I will get these posted and then it will be easier for me to add new ones in the next few days! Thanks for your patience.

We traveled down to the Dallas National Cemetery for Memorial Day. Bob's dad is buried there. It is always such a sobering experience. I am so thankful that every grave there represents a person who loved this country enough to fight for the freedoms that I take for granted every day of my life. Thanks to every one of you.

The floors are actually stained with one coat of poly UNDER all of this cardboard and paper. This is to protect it during the painting process, which is currently underway.

Have you ever stripped wallpaper? This was the fruits of my labor one afternoon. The project is still not done. If you are not from the area, you are missing out on record heat and low rainfall. It was 105 today in McKinney. Not the best weather to be stuck in a powder room scraping and scraping! Oh well, it will still be there when I get back to it.

ISLAND UPDATE!!! The base it done!!! Bob is working on the top so I will take a pic tomorrow and post it. It turned out so much better than I had even envisioned.

The electrician and Bob. He is quite a character and we are so thankful for his talents. Anyway you can see the island minus the top, the cupboards installed and the pine floors down. As of today, the cupboards are now painted white and the floors are stained, varnished and covered with paper. This kitchen is the most amazing change in the house. It is so bright and happy. I am so excited to see the rest of it come together. The counter tops are being installed this week.

This is a shot of the island as Glenna was working on it.

I think there were at least 6 layers of paint put on before she was finished.

These are a few pictures of a dresser we used for the apartment bathroom vanity. It is finished too so I will take a new picture of it. Bob did a fabulous job putting two sinks in it.

Before the sinks installed....

One of the possibilities for our lights above our island. I have another choice too. These may end up being too big but they will also work out in the apartment if I choose not to use them in the kitchen.

As I mentioned earlier it has been a crazy busy month. Our son in law Paul graduated from SMU Law School. We are so proud of him! It is an amazing accomplishment!

My daughter Sarah and precious Halie at the graduation.

Paul and sweet Austin at graduation. I'm not sure what the deal is with those caps......!! Congratulations Paul!!

The following weekend we headed to Lubbock for our son Jeff's graduation from Texas Tech School of Medicine. We had a great time with the family. Avery checking for free bubble gum!

Sawyer and Ben learning from their big sister! It is so funny how those machines intrigue kids even if they never get anything out of them.

Bob had the honor of hooding Jeff at his graduation. It was really emotional for me. What a journey his education has been. He actually beat his dad for the number of years in college. We have had some member of our family in college since 1971....yes, I said 1971!!!!! Wooohooo....I think everyone is DONE!!
Congratulation Jeff!!

And a word of thanks and congratulations to Sarah and Kristen for their love and support of Paul and Jeff in this journey. They are both such amazing women and every day I thank God for the gift they are to us! We love you!

OK.......there it is...a quick update! It will feel so good to push "publish" and get this off of my "to-do" list! Now it will be easier to get new pics on! Again, thanks for your patience! Have a great week! Stay cool!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to Jeff and Paul and their families!! I'm glad you got a post up, I love keeping up with the house and I can't wait to see it in person sometime:) I love love love the island, I wish I knew how to do a paint job like that, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete