Sunday, March 28, 2010

No Turning Back

We came home from a few days in Savannah and were so excited to see the progress on the house. We had great friends watching out for us and the house in our absence so we had full confidence that the house would still be in one piece upon our return.....and it was, so to speak! But the emotions that flooded over us as we observed the demolition, took me by surprise. There are pipes and wires literally hanging out of the walls, floors and ceilings. If you are standing in the master bathroom, you can look through the floor and see the foyer down below. We are talking layers of floors and ceilings gone. I could start to see the layers of the house's history revealed through three linoleums on the kitchen floor and several layers of wallpaper in the master bath. But as fun as it was to see it all, fear started to creep in as I wondered if all of this could ever be put back together so that this would be a "home" for our family. Bob on the other hand didn't experience fear, but his mind just started in overdrive as he started to triage the situation. I have heard that the demolition is the easy part but I have my doubts. This crew didn't know what they were getting into when they started this project. They are an inspiration to me. It didn't matter how hard the work was, they just kept at it. Actually, I hope they will still show up tomorrow morning! I have posted a few before and present pictures so you can kind of get an idea of where we are.



The master closet. All of the built in closets and drawers have been taken out. This area will eventually house our washer and dryer along with our clothes.


The master closet before demolition.



The kitchen looking into the dining room. No wall, no island, no anything!



The kitchen "before". Same view as above....looking from the kitchen towards the dining room.



The bathroom "then".


The bathroom "now".

2 comments:

  1. How exciting! I love being able to see all the before and after picture progress. I can't wait to see the next steps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is crazy!! i cant wait to see what it looks like in the end!! ahhhh!!!

    ReplyDelete